Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Whats In a Name?


As with every January, it was time for me to see my doctor for the usual physical and bloodwork. I will admit right off, I swore last year I was changing doctors and then I didn't do it. It just seems to be such a pain to start all over again with someone new. This doctor, even though she can be somewhat intimidating, very anal (I prefer to think thorough) and not the warmest bun in the oven....has been my doctor for several years. First clue that I have never quite warmed up to her, she found out today that I go by 'Kasey' and not the 'Mary' she has gotten used to. She had a new nurse and the nurse threw me off by asking if "Mary" is what I go by and I dropped my guard and told her no, "Kasey". I was quick to say, realizing my mistake, that the Dr. calls me "Mary", however.

Well, I guess she made note of that in my file, probably right under the many notes, sidebars, and wise remarks that have been filling my chart for years.(Do you think it says "difficult" anywhere in there?) So the first thing the doctor says to me is, "do you mean after all these years, you have not told us you go by Kasey?" And I stammer, and stutter and explain (probably with too many words) that it was just more convenient for insurance purposes to leave it as Mary. She was smiling, but her eyes showed a different amusement, kind of like a "gotcha" look as she flips through the pages of notes in my chart. Luckily my blood pressure had already been taken. She continued to call me "Kasey", using it alot more than necessary(she said she was trying to get used to it), but I knew it was a control thing with her.

When I finished there, I had to go to another doctor's office for a bone density test. In that waiting room, I encounter two older men who decide I look like someone they wanted to know. I have discussed this with Patty before. People tend to talk to us. We have come to the conclusion that we must have a look about us that registers "I Will Listen" to complete strangers. The first gentleman was quick to offer advice about the registration papers I was filling out. The second man wanted to know if this was my first visit, what I was there for (excuse me?!) and if I knew the Lord. Yes, he was concerned about my salvation. Can't complain about someone looking out for your soul, but it can be a little disconcerting in the setting of a doctor's office. I, at one point, considered I might be on candid camera, but since the hidden camera was never revealed, I have to assume that wasn't the case.

Quite an interesting morning. I honestly believe encounters with people, even complete strangers have some meaning. For instance, when those men stuck out their hands to introduce themselves, I replied I was "Kasey" Thompson. Total strangers, who I will most likely never meet again know that I go by "Kasey". I thought of that as soon as I said the words. It occurred to me, that the control issue with my doctor may not be her issue at all. Could it be I was hiding behind "Mary"? In looking back, the appointment did go well. I didn't leave feeling like things were left unsaid, or unresolved as in previous years. Maybe I will keep this doctor another year, see what happens, maybe she will be okay afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment