Friday, January 8, 2010

Stop the Clock!


I have always heard it said about the passage of time, wait till you have kids, then you will see how very quickly it all goes by. I certainly can attest to that and now even add, just wait till you have grandkids. I can't believe Carter will be 18 next month and Teagan is already over a half year old. I lay in bed sometimes and try to recall details of something that happened years ago, and I can only recollect bits and pieces. I have just let the passage of time envelop so much of my life that I sometimes think I wasn't even present, or that I was just going through the motions. Now that I have entered the fabulous fifties, I am trying to slow it all down and look at things longer, notice things more, hold on to things a little tighter. So why now with an older mind and a memory that seems to be in skip mode have I decided this? I think I would call it an awareness. You start to become more aware of your frailities, your mortality is coming more into focus and you start to fight it. So this is life. It is so easy when you are young to be so much "in the world" that you forget to be present. One day Carter and Teagan will learn the lesson for themselves, but I will still say to them along the way, if you think time goes fast now just wait till you have kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment