Sunday, January 24, 2010

Speed Bump Ahead

Its been a while since I have written anything. Todd had his surgery Wednesday and the rest of the days have been a blur. This is not exactly what Todd had planned for the first few months of the new year, but life has a way of making a left turn just when you think you have things all mapped out.

Todd is doing really well though. He rarely complains. He just accepts the circumstances as they are and deals with it. I read the other day that complaining can can be equated with unbelief. It is the same thing as suggesting that God really doesn't know what He is doing. Wow, that kind of made me stop and think, because I think I complain a lot.

It is not something I do purposefully. It just comes naturally, without much forethought. I think most of us complain about one thing or another. We complain about the way our team is playing or about lights being left on in unoccupied rooms, but I don't think that is what the writer was referring to. His message was about finding contentment with what is happening in your life right now and that complaining actually questions God's wisdom and good judgment. Quite something to think about.

I think what I need to take from this is to watch how Todd is dealing with his current setback. It is a trial, no doubt. He is inconvenienced in many ways with wearing that cumbersome sling. His right arm is basically gone for the time being. He is having to use his left arm for just about everything, and he has yet to voice a complaint. I am not saying he is a saint, and doesn't have his moments of discouragement, but he is not a "woe is me" kind of guy. He just plugs along and does all he can by himself, asking for help only when the task is impossible with his one arm.

As you can see, I am impressed. I would have to say, I have been known to be a "woe is me" kind of girl. I want everything to go along perfectly and when a wrench gets thrown into the mix, I usually have to wail and carry on for a bit. I will eventually move passed it, but not without someone knowing about it. Not an attractive attribute, I know. I am learning though. I am observing and taking notes. I don't want to be a complainer. When God gives me a trial, I want to be able to handle it with the same attitude that Todd is displaying.

It is difficult to learn to trust God and find contentment no matter what life brings our way. There are so many things in this world that can rob us of our faith and take the place of what we should be focusing on. As mentioned in previous blogs, I am working on my prayer life and the small group I joined is studying about developing a heart for God through prayer. Just what I need at this time in my life. God is truly amazing in how He works to help us along on the road to contentment, we just need to leave the planning to Him and what is truly important in life will become more evident along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment