Thursday, January 14, 2010

"IT" was a Christmas Tree


We bought a new Christmas tree after the holidays were over. The old one had several sections of lights that would not work and after numerous attempts to fix them and realizing we could not turn the entire tree to the wall in order to hide the flaws, we broke down and ordered one online. This tree came with a free storage bag! When it arrived the other day, the UPS man struggled to get it in the door on a dolly, mumbled how heavy it was and walked out. He left it standing upright where I could not close the front door and so I wrestled the 100+lb box to the floor and there it sat for a couple of days. Since Todd is one-armed at the moment, he certainly could not move it and Carter preferred to walk passed it like it had always been there.

So yesterday I decided to assemble the tree (in order to utilize that great, free storage bag)and make sure all the lights worked. My hope was for Carter and I to then move it to the storage room. After several hours, and the arrival of darkness, I got it put together. Carter helped me pull the storage bag up and get it secured and now there it sits. Maybe it would be better to say there it looms. Its very presence is kind of menacing. Everytime I walk into the room now I jump, like someone is standing there. I will see it out of the corner of my eye and get a jolt. Roxy is making a very wide berth around it and certainly won't make eye contact with it and I am pretty sure I heard Todd say "excuse me" to it last night!

This morning before I walked down the stairs, I reminded myself that it was there, so not to have a heart attack. But later, as I rounded the corner from the office, my heart leaped as I confronted it.

I guess the question now is who will move it, or maybe how will someone move it, or even more frightening what shall we name it?

2 comments:

  1. I think I would name it "Some Tree!".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told her to put a scarf and hat on it and pull it into front yard. People will think it's a snowman!

    ReplyDelete