Friday, March 5, 2010

More Thoughts

So as I am recuperating from my hysterectomy, a few thoughts and words of advice have occurred to me. One such thought is to never, ever, in a moment of utter boredom, take your own picture with your cell phone camera. There is no way that will be good, believe me because I tried it three times. I looked like a cross between Grandma Hughes and Dad. No offense to either, but one is a man and the other is...well, Grandma Hughes.

Another word of advice is to never take your magnifying mirror and tweezers to the recliner with you. So much for my vow to grow out my eyebrows. A magnifying mirror is probably never a good idea for anyone over 50 at any time, but to sit with it for hours examining every pore, mole and age spot cannot be a good thing...ever.

I would also have to warn to never ask your husband to look at your incision to see if he thinks it is oozing. The look on his face, just from the question alone, should be enough to warn you not to bare your flabby, stretch-marked belly to him. And the word ooze...they don't like it from what I can tell. Something else that goes along with the oozing incision advice, is to never think your spouse wants to hear about your bathroom issues. I guess this is TMI, even if you think he is your best friend and would certainly sympathize, he just prefers not to ever go there with you, not ever.

Also never believe there is no way you will ever wear those worn out elastic-waist pants out in public. I have this one pair of black, baggy, pull-on pants that I would have sworn, pre-surgery, would never see the light of day outside of the house....wrong. I just wish I had another pair because I miss them when they end up in the wash. Yes, they must be washed because when you do go outside in the sunlight, their true condition becomes even more evident.

This is the first major surgery I have had in my lifetime. I am very aware of how lucky I am in that respect. I haven't really had a hospital stay except when the kids were born. Which brings me to another piece of advice. Never stay the night alone in the hospital. You might just end up with Big Billie, night nurse, and you might as well be on a deserted island somewhere. I was very lucky to have Linda staying with me both nights. It also helps to have your sister there to name your nurses, you know, the crazy one, the stupid one, the nice one, etc...

I have felt pretty good this week (week 3)and sometimes I have even felt some twinges of normalcy. But getting back "to normal" is still a ways out. I can only pray I will continue to get better every day, and believe me, I will leave the cell phone camera off from now on (like forever).

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I teach with Amber and think the world of her. She shared, some time back, that you had a blog - I just hadnt' jumped over to read it until today. Great post. Your advice made me laugh out loud. It's all so true! Your daughter is a true true joy to so many at Minshew. She's sweet, honest, hard working, and so thoughtful. I know you already know that. But as a mother, I also know what it means to hear nice thoughts about your child - especially from people you don't know very well. I'm so glad to have the opportunity to get to know Amber and I look forward to keeping up with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Candie....especially for your thoughts about Amber. We are so proud of her and it certainly makes my heart swell to hear it from others.

    ReplyDelete